Sunday, May 18, 2014

My own personal nurse.

When Dan and I found out we were going to have a baby (I just cannot bring myself to say "we're pregnant" because really, I am the pregnant one, not Dan!) we were two of the happiest people on the face of the planet. We knew that the arrival of our child would come at a very busy time, but we knew if we planned and worked together, everything would work out.

There were many months when we went without a lot of things so we could stay committed to our plan to save money, and it all paid off because I was able to take 9 weeks off of work. It was amazing. I'm so glad we worked so hard to make that possible. Dan completed his last semester of nursing school and it got a little crazy to juggle being a new dad, a husband, a student, and the primary pianist! (Had to throw that one in there) Oh, and don't forget, the cat caretaker.

Now that it is all finished, we sometimes look at each other with giant bags under our bloodshot eyes and say, WHAT IN THE HECK JUST HAPPENED? WAS THAT A BAD DREAM? DID WE REALLY SURVIVE NURSING SCHOOL?

Well, we did, mostly he did, but I like to consider myself a small part of his success because I always told him he looked so cute in his nurse costume :)

We celebrated Dan's graduation with both our parents being in town. His poor parents and sister Katie were in a rollover accident on their way here and we are so thankful that no one was seriously injured. Miraculously, they decided to try again and made it to Boise safely on mother's day. We celebrated mother's day with a delicious brunch and then full dinner with Dan's dad's special pork chops. All of our parents were in attendance to the pork chop feast!

I was overcome with emotion when Dan graduated. He skipped out on the commencement ceremony, but they had a big pinning ceremony- short and sweet- just how everyone honestly wants it. When we put that pin on his lapel, I cried! I was so proud! I am still so proud of him. He said in his little speech that he went to nursing school for his wife and his son, and he did this all for them. Dan really is an amazing husband and father and I can't believe he has stayed married to this old battle ax for so long!

My family often jokes that one of my grandpas who shall not be named, loves being a patient. He loves being in a hospital so he can be taken care of, have plenty of ears who will listen to him, and plenty of people delivering him food and iced beverages. Maybe I inherited a bit of this "patient" mentality, but I really like having my own personal nurse on hand 24/7 just in case I have a medical emergency.

I have relied on Dan many times to take Simon's temperature, wipe his nose, and do a brief health assessment so I can ease my new-mommy-mind. Dan has been so patient with me, both as a pregnant lady and as a new mom.  He is a great nurse who cares so much about people and I know when he lands his first job, he will be a nurse who people will always remember. He has receive multiple thank you cards from the nursing staff after completing clinical hours and I think that's a great indicator as to the caliber of nurse and worker Dan is. People are drawn to him because of his kindness and interest in what they have to say.

I am so proud of you Dan!!! We made it! It seems like yesterday we were changing the entire trajectory of our lives and registering at Salt Lake Community College for pre-reqs and taking a 2-week CNA course. It was wild. Dan made the Dean's list every single semester of his program and worked harder than I can even describe to do well in his classes. He has one more hurdle- passing the NCLEX, and then he will be a real live nurse! You are such a rock star and we're so grateful for everything you do.

Not to steal Dan's thunder, but I did have to excuse myself part-way through the graduation because I was leaking milk everywhere and had to nurse Simon while sitting on a toilet in one of the bathroom stalls, but don't worry, I picked the handicap stall for maximum room. I must have been overproducing for an army that day because I also had to milk myself into a bottle on the drive home. TMI? probably, but that's real life! 












1 comment:

  1. Congrats to both of you! I love that you call it a nursing costume. :) Hilarious as always!

    ReplyDelete