Friday, April 11, 2014

First month of AWEOMSNESS

Simon is almost one month old. I can honestly say that I have loved every minute...minus the 60 seconds or so of torture I feel every time he latches on to nurse. OUCH! I've seen a lactation specialist and everything, but nursing is still a tad painful for the most part. Simon is just so adorable and sweet and I need to write down a few memories before I forget.

He is growing and filling out. He is almost all grown out of all his premie clothes and into his newborns, which is great because he is one month! He is getting a little double chin. Just look at how much he has grown!

One of the first days home in a premie sleep sack!
um...not quite big enough for a newborn sleep sack!

Tiny little nugget all curled up after nursing!
Look at that double chin! Oh and don't forget the little bowl of guacamole in the background :) A lot of life takes place in the living room these days


This boy is HYDRATED. At his 2-week appointment, Dan stripped him down to get weighed and he started peeing...all over himself- in the face, eyes, nose, hair, the wall, the scale. Yup. Everything was soaked. I jumped up to help clean him up and just as we changed the little pad under him, he started peeing again. This time he shot across the room and hit the wall and the exam table. Poor little guy. By the time we were finished with the appointment, he had peed on every "sterile" surface possible and we all had a really good laugh about it.

He is starting to make little baby grunting noises which help me know he's still alive and well while he's sleeping.

He loves to have a hand up to his face. He'll break through the tightest swaddle just to get a little bit of his hand up to his face. I do the same thing! I can't stand mummy bags- even when I'm camping and it's freezing- because I need a little hand up to my face to fall asleep.




He has little tooting sessions that crack us up because they go on..and on..and on..and with each wiggle and squirm they just keep coming. Dan had him on his chest one day while we were in bed and the little toots kept coming and the more we laughed, the more he bounced and the more he tooted. That's why this blanket is perfect for him :)


He LOVES bath time, unless he's hungry, and then he HATES bath time. I've learned to nurse him right before this bath and then he just loves it.


He loves being held. I usually hold him most of the day. It's time for me to get one of those baby wraps or slings because my daytime TV routine is starting to get a little unhealthy! I just hold him and we watch the Bethenny show, then The Talk, then there's a lull for an hour- nothing good is on- then it's The Doctors, then I bounce back between Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil, and then we wrap it up with the Ellen show!  I don't mind holding him all day long, in fact, I love it! I know I'll be back to work in a month and I'll miss those times I'm just holding him while he naps- and of course getting my awesome health advice from TV :) If I'm lucky, he'll sleep in his rocker for at least SOME of the daytime TV routine and then I can shower and do some cleaning.





He loves stroller rides. He is not a crier. I'm sorry to all my new-mom friends who had criers- I'm sure that adds a WHOLE other element to being a new mom. Simon rarely gets fussy and a stroller ride will calm him down instantly if he does get a little emotional. I love the stroller rides because I get out of the house and can enjoy the sun!



Now Simon and the cats- Simon is probably oblivious to the cats because we don't let the cats snuggle up to Simon (much to their disappointment) but the cats are VERY aware of Simon because he came in rocked their world! They still get attention, but they would still like more. They are constantly trying to participate in the care of Simon.




 Simon HATES getting his diaper changed and having his clothes changed. He will scream like he is getting tortured as soon as I put him down to change his diaper. We've tried everything from propping him up, wipe warmer, singing to him, "shhhh--ing" to him, wrapping a blanket around his arms...you name it, we've tried it. Still- he hates it. He screams louder during a diaper change than he does when he's hungry.

Simon is learning to take a binky, still not a huge fan, but he'll take it every once in awhile.

Simon likes the Similac bottle nipples and the Dr. Brown Bottle nipples. Of course! He loves the nipple that is a disposable one you're not supposed to reuse, and the bottle that has 149,389 steps and parts to put together. I'm not wasting any more money on other cheaper bottles, from now on I'm sticking to Dr. Browns!

Back to hydration- Dan has been sprayed multiple times while changing his diaper. I finally had my turn the other day. Poor little Simon peed all over his face. I swear it only takes a nano-second for it to happen too! As soon as it started I intervened and then just when I thought it was over, I propped him up a little bit and he started peeing again, this time directly on me since he was sitting up. I laughed pretty hard even though I was covered in urine.

Grandma and Grandpa Anderson came for the weekend and brought some fun toys for him. He loved being held and Grandma took great care of him while Grandpa took Dan and I out for breakfast. We saved the bath so Grandma could help and it was pretty sweet watching Dan and his mom take such good care of him.



Simon also has WILD hair, it's my favorite thing. We've tried many times to capture it, but this is the best we could get. His hair gets all fuzzy and sticks out, especially after it's been under a hat.


My good friend Madge made Simon this little bear cocoon and I've been anxiously waiting for him to grow in to it. I love anything that turns a baby into an animal, especially hats!




All and all, it's been a great first month of having a baby. We couldn't be more in love with our son. We celebrated by doing a little dance party this morning. He totally rocked out.






1 comment:

  1. Steph - He is ADORABLE! I just love him and haven't even met him! It cracks me up that he isn't really a crier until you change his diaper - looking through all this gives me flash backs of my little premie 5 lb 3 oz Camden, he was so sweet..... but when you'd change his diaper watch out! That is the first time I realized they must be mistaken when they said his lungs weren't fully developed because I'm sure the whole neighborhood could hear every single time he got changed!

    What a cute little stud! Love the bear hat too! Cannot wait until you come this way - we HAVE TO do lunch so I can meet him - I'm so excited for your cute little family!

    Love ya - keep posting the pics, loving seeing them!

    ReplyDelete