Friday, April 4, 2014

Last Day at the hospital!

Bringing Simon home two weeks ago was a little terrifying for me. Dan was so excited, he was "gently" encouraging me to hurry and up, pack up our hospital room, and get the heck out of there! I, on the other hand, actually had a panic attack on our way to the hospital to do our "trial run" night there. I got so scared. I was so afraid that I wasn't fit to take care of such a tiny baby. I cried the whole way to the hospital, did some hyperventilating, and did some major shivering. I had Dan give me a blessing in the parking lot because I couldn't pull myself together. I knew the nurses would be ten steps away in case anything went wrong, but I was still overwhelmed.

Thankfully, I calmed down and got my confidence up and we washed up one last time to go to the NICU. Our nurse got us all settled in and brought us our baby boy. I had been waking up in the night to pump and or go feed Simon a bottle, but it was different than being woken up by the sound of your baby crying. It was our first time experiencing true parenthood! It was so good to hear him cry though, it meant it was getting stronger. 

We made it through the night and got cleared to take him home. I was dragging my feet, much to the disappointment of Dan :) I was still a little nervous about being able to take care of him, but Dan was more than ready to go home. Once we got home I was completely at ease and felt confident about being a mom. We feel so lucky that our NICU stay was only six days. I don't think new parents ever plan to go there at all, and it was stressful, but we feel lucky it was for a relatively short amount of time.












2 comments: