Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Anderson Family Farm

I have been posting in my mind for a few weeks and realized it's time to actually post on the BLOG. We have had a great time reading books, riding bikes to the library, nurturing our garden, and bumming around thrift stores looking for this and that for our house.

We had a fantastic visit with my parents when they came. We went to dinner at Cracker Barrel, breakfast at Egg Factory, and had too many snacks at the Cost-Co Food court. My mom had the best night's sleep on our air mattress which cracked us all up. She kept saying over and over that she had such a great sleep! Well mom, for $14.99 and a trip to Wal-Mart, you can have that SAME great experience at home! I would feel really weird giving her an air mattress for Mother's Day, but...

My dad and Dan tilled our garden plot and it was a lot of work for them. While they tilled, my mom and I shopped at thrift stores. It was so awesome to have my mom all to myself. She found several glass mini serving sets- picture old wedding receptions platters where you would have a piece of white cake, a nut cup, and a mini cup of punch- yeah she collects those and we scored! We found several to add to her collection. We found some things for our house and need to put them up on the walls now.

My parents bought us a BBQ grill and a bunch of plants to start our garden with. We had a great time getting the garden ready. After it was ready to plant, we all sat out in our camp chairs on Friday night and talked until the sun went down. It was so fun to sit, talk, listen to the birds, and enjoy the perfect weather.

Since I'm a little behind and a little excited about all the green growing around here, this post is a little long.

Here's how the garden is coming along:

Tomatoes, peppers, cantelope, squash plants ready to be planted next week

Herb garden. don't worry, it's not as scary in real life as it looks in this picture

Thyme peeking out

Bibb Lettuce- it's going CRAZY!

Oregano

After almost 2 weeks and losing hope, our lavendar finally started poking through!
 
The full garden plot, hopefully to expanded  to double the size in 2014

What do you do if you don't have fancy plant markers? Use up your old crappy spoons of course!


I'm REALLY hoping this is actual spinach and not grass

Spring Mix...Kale is the next plan up but it looks exactly like Spring mix, so you get the idea 

Look at that BEAUTIFUL swiss chard!

I have NEVER had seeds work but our peas are looking promising
 
The mystery tree we are hoping is an apple tree



Trying to figure out how to take advantage of the irrigation water! Dan is headed to the water gates

Yay!!! Finally! Water!

Dan is such a stud- He is practically a farmer

Our flowers have decided that life is worth living. They don't even need the pencil to stand tall anymore

Book Club roundup! Dan selected Harry Potter because I am lame and have never made it through the books or movies. there may or may not be a "Adopting a pet for Dummies" book in there too...

$2.99 Basil from Winco in a bag- I guess it really lives if you keep it in a jar of water. Don't mind the lonely garbage can and the dead lawn in the backyard.

The most glorious thing happened when we were watering the lawn. Picture me sitting in the office, minding my own business, when all of a sudden Dan comes and start banging on the window with a stick! I'm like "WHAT THE HECK?" Then I see the ducks. We had a Mallard and his girlfriend hanging out taking a swim. 

Don't worry guys, the pool is almost filled up then you can put more than your beak in the water 

I am tickled pink. We basically live on a farm. We have 2 cats that hangout in our trees, dozens of squirrels, and now DUCKS. Does it get any better than this?

2 comments:

  1. I can practically hear your voice telling these stories as I read! Love the progress of the garden and the update of all the new pets!!! haha you and Dan know how to keep it real on the York St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS ... when are we going to do a BBQ, BYOM??? (Bring your own meat ... haha) We need to test out that new grill asap!

    ReplyDelete