Sunday, April 21, 2013

The exploding toilet

When Dan was coming to officially ask my Dad if he could marry me, (temple had been reserved for a month already) my family was freaking out. My little brother was shampooing all the carpets, my mom was going nuts on the house, and they started joking about getting a red carpet for Lord Daniel. My little brother is one of the funniest people I know and he made up a whole song about welcoming Lord Daniel and polishing the cement for his arrival.

My parents will be the first people to come see our new house so I totally feel the pressure to polish the cement now! We've been here for three weeks but no one has seen our new house, so obviously we're going to roll out the red carpet for the first guests! I'm talking blowing up BOTH air mattresses, that's right, BOTH air mattresses.

WAIT, how could I forget??? My BFF Mandy Harker stopped by on her way to IF from Oregon and happened to be here when our toilet exploded. She flushed the toilet and then a vacuum sound was heard and the floor started rumbling. I freaked out and then the drains and the toilet started spewing hot air that smelled like sewage. At one point it was like a geyser spewing a small amount of water 18 inches high. Don't believe me? Here's the aftermath-


SICK. For reals. 
Turns out the city was doing maintenance on the pipes and the air wasn't venting properly through the roof and was venting through the toilet and our drains instead. I don't know what I would have done if Mandy hadn't been there. Just our luck! Haven't seen her in a year and when she does come, my toilet explodes and we're screaming and freaking out. The city said it's nothing major, we probably just have a small roof vent since our house is from 1925, and once a year we should expect the same thing. Note to self- don't go to the bathroom the first week in April...

Anyway, I guess Mandy is the only person who has seen our house yet, so my parents will be our second guests.

My parents can't wait to go to Egg Factory, snoop around all the stores, and unload the massive pickup truck full of goods they are bringing for us: My great grandmother's old formal dining set, an old charming desk, and a rototiller to till up the garden spot.

My dad, the sprinkler and landscaping master, owner of Evergreen Services (Dad if you're reading this, it's 2013 and it's REALLY time for a website. If you had a website,  I could have linked my blog to it and everyone reading this would have visited your website!!!) will be here to consult with us about our yard.

Dan and I also started a book club this week. We have 2 members- Dan and myself- and we have 30 days to read our first book "The Sleeping Doll." We got our library cards on Saturday and selected our first mystery thriller. I hope I'm not too chicken to read it! We'll be discussing our thoughts at a hip coffee shop downtown next month. Dan is so excited that I'm going to read a book, that he has already made me a bookmark and told me if I want to borrow the large print copy, I can...I just have to use my own bookmark so I don't lose his place.

One more thing- I dragged Dan to the DI and if you've never been thrifting with me...it's kind of nuts. I have no shame or pride really. I was on all fours looking for prints and picture frames and Dan was probably ready to leave me there, when suddenly he had his first DI treasure find! He found one of his favorite childhood games- Easy Money- as he held it in his hands I saw him go back to his childhood and relive it for a brief second. I knew he just had to find that one treasure and then he would understand my craziness. We've played twice since yesterday and I can already sense it's going to get a lot of use at our house.

Here are a few pictures of the things we've been working on.

Living room patterns/textures, can't wait for it to come together

Hint of what's to come in the living room
Dan installed all the blinds.
My favorite view from the front window
Sorry, Dan, I didn't give you any warning! he's out livin it up in the camp chair on a Sunday afternoon
Master Bedroom, complete with emergency 72 hour kits stored in red backpacks under the bed
Double Closets


Plenty of sunlight


6 comments:

  1. It's totally my fault dad doesn't have a website yet. I was asked to work on it...but I have no idea how to do it haha. Loving the house, it's looking so cute!! I hope we get to come see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your house!! I haven't been to Boise in like 10+ years, but maybe I need to arrange a special trip. Miss you friend,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another humorous post ... Great job on the blinds Dan! Those can be tricky! The house is looking fab and I need to come over sometime when you aren't busy chatting with your stupendous students. The DI is classic and I can totally relate to being on all fours ... that is where they hide the best stuff!! PS first week in April you are welcome to use the toilets at my house since yours might be looking like Old Faithful. How wild is that story! CLASSIC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was I unaware of this post? You are my absolute fav.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was I unaware of this post? You are my absolute fav.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How was I unaware of this post? You are my absolute fav.

    ReplyDelete