Thursday, July 4, 2013

Flashback to Oregon

My BFF Mandy Harker invited me to compete in a Tough Mudder with her and her husband. I told her to go jump off a cliff and she had completely lost her mind.

Her husband picked the tough mudder as something to do for some marital bonding and as much as I wanted to jump on that bandwagon, my obesity is at an all time high and I didn't want to risk ruining that.

Mandy on the other hand trained like a fool! It just so happens that my cousin's cousin's aunt's neices daughter, or something like that, is also one of Mandy's BFF's from high school and we are also BFF's here in Boise! I consider her a relative since she's relatives with my Uncle's wife, my aunt July. Ali and her husband Lyman were also talked into the participating in the Mudder.  Lyman is super man and completed an iron man the weekend prior so the mudder was no big deal for him.

Ali was more of a supportive role for Lyman rather than a training partner and they have been convincing me to come watch the mudder for weeks. I didn't know how to pull it all off because we had a lot of obligations that weekend. I woke up Friday morning and knew that I would never forgive myself if I didn't go support Mandy so I made like the wind and took the day off and hopped in the car with the Holyoak family!

I barely had time to pack a bag and I had no cash or anything so I was contributing my gas money in increments of cheeseburgers and nuggets. It was so fun to drive to Oregon and stop at the Pendleton Wool factory!

We got to Oregon and took a tour of Mandy's huge piece of property and admired her acre of corn. Her husband is a legit farmer and they legit live on a farm. It's so awesome! We took the kids to the splash park, ate snow cones from Mandy's former snow shack that she opened and then sold, and then went to a Chinese buffet. After the buffet we went to Mandy's newest business, INFLATABLE FUN!

Holy crap that place was amazing! If my mom owned an inflatable fun gym when I was little...let's not even think about that. Non-stop fun for her kids!

We drove 2 hours to Fossil Oregon the next morning and were overwhelmed at how huge the event was. Thousands of people competed, like over 6,000! It was set up on this huge mountain farm. Ali and I didn't bring very much water because quite honestly we didn't know that being a spectator involved walking and hiking for miles. We were on the verge of heat stroke by the time it was over. It was so worth it though, we had so much fun!

It was a long day and thank heavens for the little gas station along the way that had some gatorade. I wanted nothing more than a salt lick and some gatorade at the end of that adventure and I didn't even compete!
















No comments:

Post a Comment