Friday, December 16, 2011

I made my father in law a dress.

I am banking on my father in law NOT reading this post and thus ruining his Christmas surprise. I decided to make Christmas presents this year for family and friends. I went to the fabric store, found a pattern that looked like a unisex pattern for an apron, and then went to work.

I should have stopped sewing when I saw the word "darts."

Being a mostly self-taught, never follow the pattern exactly kind of sewer (sorry mom, I know you tried) I just overlooked the darts and kept sewing and cutting and putting this manly apron together.

The goal was to make an apron that resembles a Santa Claus suit, you know, black belt, white fur, gold buckle...

Instead the finished apron was a DRESS. Full skirt, darts for boobs, and plenty of room in the chest for boobs.

I had Dan try it on over and over and over and all we could do was laugh. I kept thinking maybe he wouldn't notice the darts or the extra space in the chest area and maybe he wouldn't think it had much of a skirt...but it was hopeless. I had made him a dress. (Dan helped, I have proof!)




I am now trying to make a manly Santa style apron before Sunday with no pattern. We'll see how this pans out.

Luckily I was able to turn his dress into something for my mom. Let's hope I can pull this off!

In other Anderson news, Dan is finished with his classes and got a B+ in his bio-organic chemistry class. Go Dan! His other grades are still TBA but I am sure he passed with flying colors. So proud.

We are headed to Idaho in exactly one week and it won't come soon enough. I haven't spent Christmas in Idaho for a few years and I really hope the weather cooperates.

The last time I was in Idaho for Christmas was in 2008. I had sung a midnight mass at St. Paul's on Christmas eve and my family came. We left at midnight and drove into the worst storm we had ever experienced. There were many times that we were using the snooze strips to figure out where the edge of the road was because it was a complete white out. We drove straight through many drifts on the interstate and it took us almost 6 hours to get home. It was quite the ride.

Let's hope that doesn't happen in 2011.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. Move by me, so I can laugh every single day.

    ReplyDelete