We got to Portland and honestly, I didn't love it. It was super congested and felt like a big city cramped into the side of a mountain. Visually, I LOVED it. I loved the trees, the water, the bridges, the look of the buildings, but actually trying to get around stressed me out.
We stopped at Multnomah Falls and hadn't planned on hiking the whole thing, but we decided to keep going once we made it up a couple of the switchbacks. It was spectacular! I loved all the moss growing on the trees and I loved how green it was. We sort of jumped out of the car and made sure we had some water in the reservoir and then started walking toward the falls. Once we started hiking, I felt SUPER hot in my black, fleece lined sweat pants. What was I thinking? Considering we were up at 4:30 AM, I know that I wasn't thinking about anything other than comfort when I was getting dressed. We had to ration our water at the end, but we made it and the hike really wasn't THAT long, but it was steep!
After our unplanned hike, we were starving and made the drive over to Calamity Jane's, a place my sister recommended. It was delicious. They served lots of exciting and interesting kinds of burgers and I was planning to order one with mushrooms and blue cheese, and then I saw a lady start eating her taco salad...At the last minute I ordered a taco salad that was about the size of a gallon ice cream bucket and didn't even make a dent in it. Their ranch dressing was the best ranch dressing I have ever had and I wanted to buy a gallon to take home with us.
We got a hotel off hotwire and you never really know what to expect with a hotwire hotel....but we were pleasantly surprised! It was a tad on the ghetto side, but it had a full kitchen and full size fridge and was only $58, so you can't beat that. The rest of our vacation would be at a beach house so we didn't mind.
The next day we got up early and met up with my good friend Kim. I love that I'm still friends with Kim. We met at Girl's state, WAY back in high school. We became really close friends and she lived in Pocatello. Somehow we have maintained our friendship all these years and through many moves which I think is extremely impressive considering social media didn't exist for much of that time.
She is married to a wonderful and hilarious girl named Jessica. They have a son named Rex that is the smartest little boy ever. He has so much energy and feelings and is hilarious to be with. Simon and him have hung out once before and they had a ball at the zoo.
We finished things off with way too much delicious food at the food trucks. I really wanted to spend a fortune and eat everything there but Dan kept me under control and I'm glad he did because we were stuffed with our french fries, giant french toast PB and J grilled sandwich, and some cheesy garlic bread.
Portland, you were good to us. I didn't instantly have the love connection I was expecting, but I didn't hate it. It would take some getting used to, but I thought it was gorgeous and I would love to go for another visit and see more of the city.
![]() |
| Simon having a dance party in the backpack |
![]() |
| Even though Simon was safely strapped in, I was terrified being up on the overlook and maintained a very firm grip on his ankle the whole time they were on the overlook |
![]() |
| Simon wanted Dan to keep looking over the edge so he could see the waterfall. FEARLESS CHILD |

















No comments:
Post a Comment